[AT] Here we go again

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 24 16:41:39 PST 2008

>Larry,  store all those pics on CD NOW

Larry -

If I could add to Charlie's advice about storing your images on CD (or DVD) ...Something I got in the habit of several years ago might also be worth consideration.

I purchased a 20-gig external hard drive that I store backups of just about ALL of my critical or important programs & data on. I also usually keep images & videos on either CDs or DVDs to save space and make them readily available.

Case in point happened just yesterday when the hard drive on my #1 Dell desktop PC crashed. I already have a new replacement hard drive on the way (www.geeks.com). Once I install it and the OS, I can copy all my external folders & files to it and thus get back to a semblance of normalcy without losing hardly anything.

We seldom consider what happens when a hard drive crashes, but it can be devastating to lose all the data that may have taken years to accumulate, and much of it -- like images -- will be gone forever unless there's a separate backup storage system in place.

Bob
In snow upstate NY