[AT] Help with Radiator Leak, Please?

John Valdez johnvaldez at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 24 10:02:54 PST 2008

I am looking for a good and cheap fix on an old radiator. I don't
think I can use "good" and "cheap" in the same sentence, but here is
my question.

I purchased an old welder, made by General Electric.  The
manufacturers label said the engine was a four-cylinder Hercules, but
upon closer inspection the engine is actually a four-cylinder
Continental.  Too bad too, as I have been looking for some time for a
Hercules 1XB3 engine or similar replacement for another project.

The welder was dragged out of the bush behind the owner's house from
under a mess of blackberry bushes.

Oh yes, to my question...

At some point in history, someone has shot a pellet gun at the
radiator.  The pellet is still visible in the cooling tube.  The
radiator leaks at this hole.

I read somewhere that to repair a radiator, a person purchased a
special clip that fit over the tube and was soldered into place.  I
may have found this information in an old equipment manual.

The most commonly used method of repair that I have seen is to break
away the cooling fins between the tubes around the hole and just
solder up the hole.  While this might be very functional, I have not
been impressed with the looks of the completed work.

Now, here is the question -- Does anyone here have any suggestions
that I might try to make a near "Invisible" repair to the radiator?

This may be off topic, for which I apologize.

Wayne
Vancouver Island, BC

==

ICQ Number 1625774

1930(?) Case Model L(?), gas - with Hough loader - Rescued - not running
1933 IHC T-20, Gas Crawler with blade - Running
1940's (?) Hyster Karry Krane (Cranemobile), 5 ton lift - Model CM;
Serial 115, with Hercules 1XB3 4 cyl gas - Rescued - not running -
Hercules IXB3 engine has major parts missing..
1947 Massey-Harris Pony, gas - Model 11 - Serial PGS-1256 - running
1948 McCormick Farmall H, gas - Serial FBH-272855 with Loader -
running; needs clutch
1947-55(?) Towmotor Forklift, 4,000 lb lift - gas - no Serial -
partial restore - running
1950(?) IHC Stationary Engine(same as Farmall H) with Trans and flat
belt pulley - running
1951 IHC TD-9, Diesel Crawler/bulldozer - Serial TDCB-42774 - engine
being re-worked.
1952 IHC TD-9, Diesel Crawler/bulldozer - Serial TDCB-56552 - needs
final gears  not running
1952(?) Earthmaster tractor, gas - no serial, not running
1953 Thew/Lorain 15 ton Truck Crane, serial 24876 - 40 ft boom, two 6
cylinder gas - partial restore - running
1967 Ford Thunderbird 2 Door - Older Restore
1975 Kubota B6000, Diesel 4x4 - with loader and backhoe - Rebuilt
1999 - running
1980 Case 580C, Diesel Loader/Backhoe - Serial 9011002 - running
1984 Mustang convertible - running
1998 John Deere 870 4WD, Diesel - with loader - running
...and some more engines, compressors and welders

Accessories:
1947 Champion Sparkplug tester and cleaner
1950  Sun Dwell and Tach meter
...and more