[AT] Gate Openers

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Jan 23 08:31:11 PST 2008

I have built gate openers with gearmotors attached to a drive wheel that
is attached to the gate.  I put an electric actuator on the gate to move
a bolt in and out to latch the gate.  When the bolt retracts it closes a
switch that turns on the wheel motor to open the gate and when it gets
to the limit another switch stops it.  When the bolt is extended, it is
on a spring loaded attachment, then it closes another switch to clost
the gate and when the limit switch is opened, then the wheel motor
stops.  this is done with 3 ph as it is easier to control.  It can be
done with starter motors and batteries and solar panels, and also with
240/130 1ph.  Whatever you have available.  I buy my remote controllers
on e-bay or from www.batechstore.com they are shipped from Hong Kong.
This includes a remote control key fob and the receiver that mounts on
the gate or control box.  I had been buying them from electronic kits r
us, but the receiver switches were sticking.  Hopefully these new ones
will work for a while.  Always order a spare to have one handy when the
lightning hits.

Cecil in OKla