[AT] Neat jack idea

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 12:34:45 PST 2008

My old Hi-Lift had a cotter pin to lock the handle in place.  My newer one
had a spring clip that fell out.  I'm not sure which is better, sometimes
you need the handle out and the cotter pin is a pain, sometimes you need the
handle locked in.

I had to order an overhaul kit plus extra's on my old one.  The lower end of
the cast slider with the triangles that works the dogs broke off, probably
when one of the boys lifted a stuck tractor.  I suspect that was a severe
overload, as they also bent my trailer ramps during the event.  Sometimes
it's better that Dad's don't know the entire story.

When I was a kid, we had some hydralic bumper jacks.  They were very
spindly, we used one on the hitch of an old hay rake.  It got lost in a hay
field and Dad tried to bale it in the roto-baler.  I remember the bent up
jack and a grease spot on the belts.