[AT] Neat jack idea

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 13 09:42:48 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Neat jack idea

> I am assuming that by "Handiman" jack you mean one of those giant bumper
> jacks with a sort of "I" beam post with a row of holes up the post and
> pins
> moving in and out to operate it.> BE CAREFUL!!!

Farmer, I would have to agree 100% with all you said about this type of
jack. Here they are called "Jackalls" and over the years I have somehow
acquired at least 3 of them. I've been lucky but have heard various recounts
of injuries sustained when these type jacks were involved. I was always
taught to never relax my grip on the handle and always keep other body parts
out of striking range of it. Also not to rest a hand on the upper part of
the jack where the handle could crush it.
I find them very handy but also quite unstable , usually requiring a steady
hand on the top to keep them from tipping over.
The pinned, crank type jacks you mention are very common on most farm
machinery here and some implements do have a second mounting base elsewhere
on the frame to either stabilize it when parked or just an alternate place
to carry the jack. They work well requiring only occasional disassembly for
cleaning and greasing.
I have been struggling with installing one of these on my big bale wagon.
Its a converted 3 ton Ford truck chassis, now a single axle. I'm having
problems coming up with a solid enough mounting bracket that will handle the
stress involved when I am loading round bales on the trailer and the hitch
is supported only by the jack. Twice now the jack mounting has bent over and
dropped the hitch to the ground. No damage to the jack (yet).

Ralph in Sask.