[AT] Neat jack idea

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Jan 13 08:26:28 PST 2008

--On Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:17 AM -0600 "Ronald L. Cook"
<rlcook at pionet.net> wrote:

> A pinned on jack will stay put, though, without much worry about it
> slipping off or tipping.  My trailer has mounts and jacks on the rear
> corners for loading purposes.  Also, you have the jack with you in plain
> sight and not buried under a bunch of stuff in the pickup.  Of course
> you could make a rack on the trailer for the handiman if you were more
> organized than me.
>
> I like the idea.  Very simple and not expensive.
>
> Ron Cook
> Salix, IA
>
> Dave Ernst wrote:
>> A handiman is much easier and alot more resourceful for other things.
>> Dave E

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

	I am assuming that by "Handiman" jack you mean one of those giant bumper
jacks with a sort of "I" beam post with a row of holes up the post and pins
moving in and out to operate it. I have one of those and I do use it
regularly but I also consider it to be one of the most dangerous tools on
the farm... I tend to use it too often because it is "handi"   :-)   but in
most cases there is usually a better way. I place and use it with a level
of caution that I would otherwise reserve for setting a dynamite charge or
telling my wife how much I spent at an auction sale...
	Son Scott could have easily lost his life with it when a pin didn't drop
in as deep as it should have and the lift slipped after he had already let
go of the handle. The handle suddenly and without warning came flying up
with a huge force due the the heavy load on the jack and smacked him
viciously in the side of the head as he was raising back up from having
leaned over to push the handle down. The second pin had engaged OK and it
held the load fine but Scott was on the ground trying to wake up...
	I wouldn't say don't use one but do not turn your back on it. They can be
sneaky and evil... I'd rather trust a used car salesman...

BE CAREFUL!!!

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson