[Steam-engine] engineer licensing

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 13:35:32 PST 2008

Thanks for the input Paul.  Can you tell us what the
training included?  Any hands on training?  I would
like to see a 1 or 2 day operator training with hot
engines and classroom followed a short written test
and some "apprentice" hours to get a license.  One
problem is how do you get the apprentice hours with a
new program.  Of course you will have to grandfather
in some or all of the current operators.  Who
qualifies for grandfather status?  How many hours are
appropriate?  The historic steamers are not that
complicated and I don't think that you need a lot of
operating hours for licensing purposes.  How long is
the license good for?  In some places the license is
good for life.  I think that we could all benefit from
a "refresher" periodically.  Maybe every 3-5 yrs???
The things that concern me about possible licensing in
my state are: Meaningful training that promotes
safety, reasonable fees for training and licensing, &
availability of training.

--- Paul Pavlinovich <pjp at steamengine.com.au> wrote:

> Certainly do here in Australia. Up until recently,
> licensing was state
> based through "WorkSafe" a government body.
> Essentially you go to a
> private trainer, get trained, then examined by a
> licensed examiner then
> submit an application for the license along with all
> the paperwork.
> Recently this was replaced by National Standard for
> Licensing Persons
> Performing High Risk Work. The process is basically
> the same, but the
> license is national instead of state based. This
> applies to your boiler
> ticket and engine ticket which are handled
> seperately.
>
> I've got "BI" - Boiler Intermediate which allows me
> to run almost
> anything short of a power station! The scary thing
> about this licensing
> is that you have the theory and then pass a simple
> single practical exam
> (doesn't even involve steaming) and off you go - you
> can go run a boiler
> unsupervised.
>
> Regards
> Paul
>
> Andy glines wrote:
> > Does you state require engineers to be licensed?
> If
> > they do please tell us about the licensing program
> > there.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Andy Glines
> > Evansville, IN