[Steam-engine] engineer licensing

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Sat Jan 5 03:58:38 PST 2008

Certainly do here in Australia. Up until recently, licensing was state
based through "WorkSafe" a government body. Essentially you go to a
private trainer, get trained, then examined by a licensed examiner then
submit an application for the license along with all the paperwork.
Recently this was replaced by National Standard for Licensing Persons
Performing High Risk Work. The process is basically the same, but the
license is national instead of state based. This applies to your boiler
ticket and engine ticket which are handled seperately.

I've got "BI" - Boiler Intermediate which allows me to run almost
anything short of a power station! The scary thing about this licensing
is that you have the theory and then pass a simple single practical exam
(doesn't even involve steaming) and off you go - you can go run a boiler
unsupervised.

Regards
Paul