[AT] Clark Airborne Dozer(now grounds) (Long)

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jan 4 04:56:40 PST 2008

--On Friday, January 04, 2008 12:44 AM -0600 Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net>
wrote:

> I've heard a similar theory in which a chain is dragged from the axle of
> a  combine to eliminate the build up of static electricity. This was
> supposed  to keep dust from sticking to the cab windows. Its an
> interesting idea but I  have never gotten around to actually trying it
> out.
> I"ve also never used a ground chain for any of the tractor belt work done
> on  this farm and I don't recall my Dad ever trying it either. I have
> never seen  any indication of static electricity build up and I am about
> as susceptible  to electric shocks as anyone can be. The worst is in our
> dry winter weather  when every time I get out of a vehicle I get a real
> jolt of static when I  touch the metal door frame.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

	Hi Ralph:

	Its finally warming up here a little. Maybe 40 today and 60 by early next
week with a low of 50.   :-)   We are often well below zero during this
time period.
	I dragged a short piece of chain from the steering axle of my old Gleaner
all of the time I had it and from my old Deere 45 before that. I can't
really say if it helped or not. The concept was supposedly started by guys
that attached a short chain so it was easy to hook up if they got stuck
without crawling underneath in the mud. They then claimed that it helped
keep the glass a lot cleaner. Also a few guys reported getting zapped when
touching the combine when they were standing on the ground and the
separator was running. I don't believe I ever got zapped by a combine.
	I also don't recall ever getting zapped by a tractor running a belt driven
machine. I was about 12 when I read about using a ground for belt work and
just started doing it. One place it was discussed was in the old 4-H
tractor maintenance project. I would think that as long as the machine
being driven was making metallic contact with the ground that any charge
would be discharged there. Our hay blower was in ground contact and also
staked down with steel stakes. I would suspect that stuff like the dry hay
moving through the metal pipes would be as likely as anything to build a
static charge. Not only could that "maybe" feed back to the rubber tired
tractor but I suppose it could also generate an ignition spark in a dust
filled environment. My buzz saw is also in metallic contact with the ground
and is also staked down with steel stakes. About the only thing I can think
of off of the top of my head that might be not grounded in use would be a
threshing machine on rubber tires and just chocked in place. Again the
larger chance of generating a static charge might be from the material
moving through the machine especially through the straw blower pipe. That
also could be a bad place for a spark but I don't remember ever hearing of
a straw pile burning unless it was from the sparks from a steam engine.
	Static is a funny thing. I have a primary filter in my furnace that is a
plastic foam material that builds a static charge from the air passing
through it and that charge is what causes it to catch the dust in the air.
The attraction is quite strong and even though the foam is rather open
celled it fills up with dust pretty quickly.
	Anyone that is into woodworking to the point of having dust collection
systems probably knows about static build-up in plastic dust collector
piping. In most shops a ground wire is ran either inside or outside of the
pipe (it doesn't seem to matter which) to drain off the static charge
caused by the air moving through the plastic piping. Metal piping systems
are usually self grounding and not as prone to build a charge as plastic.
There supposedly has never been a reported case of a fire or explosion in a
home shop setting from the static but a number of guys have been zapped
silly...   :-)   In industrial settings I understand that there have been
fires and explosions and that most insurance companies require grounding of
such systems.
	When I got married about 45 years ago I was working in a plastics factory
working with rolls of plastic film and we were zapped constantly, sometimes
hundreds of times a day. While most people worked in the same department
and often at the same machine for their entire term of employment with the
company they had decided to try something different with me. Since I had
good mechanical skills and could learn about any job quickly I was declared
a "Utility man" (actually some days I was declared a lot more than that)
;-)   and I was to learn almost all of the jobs done in the plant. Many of
the bag making machines, especially the ones used for making the larger
bags used "static bars" which I do not claim to understand as details of
their innards was never really explained to me. They consisted of an outer
brass shell which was a tube of about 1" diameter. The tube had a row of
closely spaced maybe 3/4" holes down one side. Inside of the tube was a
brass rod with a row of little sharp spikes like little lightning rods.
That tube was mounted so that it ran as close as possible to the moving
plastic film with the holes down toward the film. A heavily insulated small
wire ran to a "black box" filled with all manner of components that I
didn't recognize and on the bottom of the box was one or two sockets that
held a 220 volt light bulb to serve as a ballast. As the machine operated
the bulb(s) flickered and fluttered depending on the amount of static in
the film. It was not there for operator protection but rather to prevent
the static charged film from clinging together and jamming the machine. We
also used a "tinsel" that was about 5/8" in diameter that looked like gold
Xmas tree tinsel but was metal. We would often tie it across the moving
film letting it slide on the surface and grounding it to the metal frame of
the machine. Some of the guys would tie a piece of it around one ankle and
let a foot of it drag on the concrete floor or tie a longer piece to the
machine frame. I personally never felt that it did much good grounding
people. In another department we unwound roll film onto big adjustable
reels to cut it into various lengths up to around 10'. That old equipment
was pretty crude and the rolls of film had a steel arbor shaft mounted
through them and and were sat in simple notches in an oak 4" X 4" as
bearings. There were crude metal collars used to keep the shafts in
position lengthwise, one collar on each side of the oak support held by big
square headed set-screws. The lower support was all steel and big bolts
held the oak to the steel. As the film unrolled the head of the setscrew
passed within about an inch and a quarter of one bolt head. With many rolls
of film (mostly polyethylene) the static was so bad that a huge spark would
jump from the setscrew to the bolt head every revolution. I got zapped "a
LOT" in that department.   :-)
	Back in the 1950's most cars with vinyl seats had a little rubber ground
strap hanging down underneath dragging on the ground an inch or two. The
one on our 1952 Ford was about an inch wide and maybe 14" long with a clamp
to hold it to the center of the car frame. I remember that it had a yellow
lightning bolt printed on it and I believe it had fine wires molded into
the rubber. I had several cars with those on them later. They did help but
didn't always make a ground. I believe that J. C. Whitney still sells them.
Probably more than you wanted to know...   :-)

Footnote: It seems that under the right circumstances the human body is
capable of holding a pretty good static charge for sometime after a lot of
getting zapped. Diana soon learned not to kiss me when I got home until we
had touched hands first to let the spark happen there. I must also confess
to occasionally abusing the use of that charge when feeling playful...
;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson