[AT] Now: PTO to Trailer

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Thu Jan 3 10:00:08 PST 2008

Paul,
	He would have had to go above idle to even gain any speed over the
original 4-5 mph of the tractor.  It all depends, of course, on the gear
ratio to the ground.  If you used a modern, (60's,70's)pickup based
trailer and its original rear gears, how fast would it go turning the
drive shaft at 500rpm?  Around 10 mph, I think.  I find it hard to
believe that 30's engineering would get anything going much faster.  It
would, however, seem like "going like the wind" compared to the road
gears of any tractors at the time.  I see no danger at all.  Sounds
practical and interesting.  It would also not be very tough to shift the
pto in or out on the go.  I don't think a trailer would have much
flywheel effect.  It wouldn't be much different than shifting a Behlen
road gear on an F-20.

Ron Cook