[AT] dial up

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 22 12:54:29 PST 2008

--On Friday, February 22, 2008 10:58 AM -0800 Dennis Johnson
<moscowengnr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I have read the posts on internet connections. It is good that most
> places now have DSL or similar connecitons at a price that is affordable,
> and work most of the time.
>   Trying to get on when traveling is a different story.  I am in Dubia
> this week, and 24 hours of internet is about $14 at the hotel.  In parts
> of Europe, it can be about $20 per day as I remember, and 1 - 2 hours can
> be about $7 to $10 in airports and WiFi hot spots.
>   Our internet had a problem, so I went to the local Starbucks (forgive
> me - closest internet hot spot) and found that to connect there was
> somewhere around $10.  Some McDonalds and a few others had the best deal,
> with free internet when you went in a had breakfast. That worked well
> when travling in US - I could get up and do internet fix while the wife
> sleep in a while.
>   Stay warm
>   Dennis

	When we were on the road last year I was picking motels with free high
speed access. Diana couldn't sleep very well though due to me sitting up
half the night at my laptop saying "WOW!!! over and over as pages zipped up
on the screen...   :-)
	In 5 years we will be talking about "coldspots" instead of "hotspots".
	I did get on for a few minutes on a couple of places that were general
hotspots nearby. One of my grandsons had a wireless laptop and no
connection. He would hunt for hot spots and sit in some big store's parking
lot surfing the web. Such spots are pretty common around Indy. Some are
password locked but many are not.

	Talk about old thoughts... I was just looking at a not very clear letter
on the screen just now which I cured by wiping the smudge off of the
screen. The funny part was that the first thought that popped into my head
was that maybe the ribbon was getting dry...   :-)   :-)
	OK, so I'm old...

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson