[AT] towing tractors

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 29 11:42:25 PST 2008

--On Friday, February 29, 2008 10:17 AM -0800 Dennis Johnson
<moscowengnr at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I am not recomending this as a preferred method of transporting, but it
> was an interesting ride.

	I have had quite a few "interesting rides" in my life. Many of them I
wouldn't do again.  :-)
	One of those was towing a John Deere B home on a low single axle implement
trailer (6:90/6:00 x 9 - 10 ply lug tires) behind my CJ-5 Jeep...
	Another was hauling my Super M Farmall home from the sale on that same
trailer behind an old 3/4 ton 1948 Chevy with the fairly heavy New Idea
Loader in the back of the truck. That one was at night with a single
battery powered tail light/license plate bracket. I still have that old
battery tail light here some place.
	I came home with that same truck and trailer on another occasion when I
learned the folly of using coil spring overloads on a leaf spring truck. I
was hauling some new plywood home for my folks and had just installed a new
set of 1500# overload coils on it. We had about 100 sheets of 1/2" plywood
on the truck and maybe a little more on the trailer (7,000# plates on the
truck and 3,000# plates on the trailer). I was coming around Indianapolis
on I-465 and trying to look inconspicuous... It wasn't working...   :-) The
trouble was that I was quickly learning that you only use leaf spring
overloads on a leaf spring vehicle no matter what the sales blurb on the
coil springs say... The coils had too much of the weight and the leaf
springs were no longer self stabilizing from the extra weight like they
normally are. After several really scary unstable swerves in what is always
"nut case traffic" in rush hour, I finally got off of the road and removed
the coil units (a little scary in itself). I drove on home without
incident. I wouldn't want to repeat that trip... Almost needed a new
steering wheel from gripping it so tight and new seat from... well you
know...   :-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson