[AT] energy

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Tue Feb 26 14:51:01 PST 2008

Steve,  as I said earlier, I had this same discussion last week with an oil
jobber who lives with these issues every day.  The company has a fleet of
tankers and is primarily in the gasoline and diesel business but they also
deal in bio-diesel because state vehicles in NC are mandated to burn bio.  I
was surprised last week when he told me that it takes more energy to produce
gasoline than you get back from it but I have no reason to doubt him.  I
suspect, though I didn't discuss it with him, that the difference is made up
in other products that come of the same distillation column.

He also thinks that ethanol and bio is going to fly long term.  He says the
paper companies are working on making ethanol from wood chips and still
using the chips in their production process.  I suspect not to make paper
but to fuel their power houses.  They use bark and waste chips to do that
now.  They could probably take the sugars out of the "hog fuel" as they call
it and still burn what's left over.

I'm not taking a position here other than to say that I don't think CO2 is a
problem and that a lot of the hype over carbon fuels is bunk.  Other than
that I'm just curious about the process.  It's a known fact that in
generations gone by things that were dismissed as impossible are now in
every day use.  As a professor told us in class one day, Engineering is
materials limited.  Meaning given the right materials (or technologies)
anything is possible (at some price).

Charlie