[AT] Photo sharing site

rlgoss at insightbb.com rlgoss at insightbb.com
Tue Feb 26 08:33:37 PST 2008

I use Picassa for fast full-aperture corrections on photos all the time.  I don't post photos on-line, so I have not experimented with all the bells and whistles related to that portion of the program, but what I understand is that the resolution of images is automatically reduced to 72 dpi when they are posted on line in that program.  It doesn't do any resolution reduction when using it in any other mode.

One of the nice things about Picassa is that the program never makes any permanent changes in your photos as long as they remain on the hard drive of your computer.  All the changes are made in the header information of the file rather than in the data section.  That's very nice because it means that every modification you make to an image is reversible.  To make changes permanent, you have to export to email, to a website, or burn to a CD.  Even then, the original image on your hard drive is unchanged.  That can cause confusion if you use more than one software package on photos.  You need to make any changes in the "other" software before using Picassa on an image.

The real downside to the program is that it does not work on a Mac.  You can post photos on-line and access them with a Mac system, but you can't burn CD's and have the program work "as it should" in the Mac OS.  The burned images are still available (they are JPEG's) but all the captions and slideshow information can not be viewed on a Mac.

Larry