[AT] Alchemy

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Tue Feb 26 06:38:55 PST 2008

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "George Willer" <gwill at gwill.net>
Subject: Re: [AT] Alchemy
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:49:18 -0500

>It can be equated in this one sense... The emphasis is
>directed toward hydrogen as a non-polluting fuel without
>considering how it is produced and the amount of energy
>required and the pollution produced by the true source of
>the energy.  Where are the researchers who are honest
>enough to even mention in passing how inefficient the
>concept actually would be for the foreseeable future?

Thanks, George.  I think the analogy is solid.  It goes like
this:  alchemists were attempting something physically
impossible, and they could have saved themselves vast
quantities of effort if only they knew.  Those trying to
split water into H2 and O2 using less energy input than
they'll get back on recombination can also save themselves
the effort by understanding the fundamentals.

Steve O.