[AT] Hydrogen fuel

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Mon Feb 25 08:02:51 PST 2008

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Ed Stewart <edstewart1 at verizon.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] Hydrogen fuel
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:35:29 -0500

>I am a member of the Hydroxy group on Yahoo
>http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydroxy/ There are a
>bunch of fellows  working on ways to obtain Hydrogen from
>water for fuel and sharing info  with eachother,. Ed

As George Willer has pointed out (by the way, HI GEORGE!)
you need to input energy to split a water molecule into
separate hydrogen and oxygen atoms.  Under absolutely
perfect conditions (impossible to attain) you get back
exactly what you put in when they recombine, nothing more.
Therefore hydrogen is an energy storage medium, like
compressed air or a rechargeable battery.  Hydrogen is not
an energy SOURCE like petroleum, natural gas, or sunlight.

The thinking that somehow water can be spit into hydrogen
and oxygen easily, with little energy input, is analgous to
modern alchemy.  Check history - they finally gave up trying
to turn lead into gold.

Best regards,
Steve O.