[AT] The disappearing past

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Feb 23 07:57:36 PST 2008

	The mention of the tearing down of the sugar beet plant reminded me of an
article in the local paper this week announcing that the local "County
Farm" main structure will feel the wrecking ball this year. It used to be
referred to as the "Poor farm". It is one of my old tractor memories from
my youth. The buildings sat about in the middle of about 200 acres of very
good farm land. The main huge brick building sat on the edge of a small
bluff overlooking a small river and it was all quite picturesque. The farm
sits in a corner of a busy county road and Indiana State Road 9. The school
I attended from the 4th to the 8th grade sat right on the corner on a few
acres notched out of the farm. Since in those days the poor that lived
there farmed the ground, milked cows and raised chickens etc. we often
watched the guys out working in the fields. They used a couple of Allis
Chalmers tractors, a WC and a WD IIRC. Now and then a family would be
living there for a while that had children and they went to our school.
Every Christmas we went to the farm and sang carols to the residents. That
visit also included a tour of the facility. Sometimes when the guys were
working on the fences we and the teachers would talk with them and in all
cases we found them to always be very nice folks. A large number of them
were elderly. As a result those of us that attended that school tend to
have warm fuzzy feelings about that poor farm. That school is now totally
remodeled rather creatively into a nice church. I guess all of the county
farm buildings will eventually disappear. In addition to the main building
there was several barns and sheds and a nice small house of maybe 1,500 sq.
ft. where the farm superintendent lived. Diana and I have long said that if
we had $50,000,000 loose that we would make the county an offer they
couldn't refuse and hire a creative architect to make it into a mansion and
estate for us. Before they shut it down I always figured I would end up
there anyway.   :-)
	The local sheriffs department has taken maybe 5 acres which sits inside of
a very high earth dike for a shooting/training range. The county is almost
always surprised at how high that ground is bid up when they rent it. It
usually rents for about 30% to 40% higher than comparable surrounding land.
Thinking back a few years I believe that the recent renters may have all
attended that school on the corner. Maybe they are paying for memories...
:-)
	I would love to drive past there and see an old Allis pulling a corn
planter in those fields. Of course I can see it... I just have to shut my
eyes.   :-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson