[AT] Rail cars.

Louis Spiegelberg louis at kellnet.com
Sat Feb 23 06:31:10 PST 2008

CSX has been advertising "bragging" on several local radio stations on how
efficient their locomotives are.  The say that they can haul a ton of
freight 413 miles on one gallon of fuel.  I realize that there are many
costs, other than fuel.

If an effective system is put in place with long term goals.  There is no
reason why it can't economically viable. It seems that the rail system used
to work well.  The "gotta have it now" mentality has taken over.

Back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and early 60's, all of the local farm
equipment got all the equipment hauled in on train. Many of the old
dealerships were right by the rail station, as they were also the grain
elevator in the area. You could haul a lot more equipment on one train than
you can on a semi-truck.  Now our local dealers have maybe one or two
tractors hauled in on one truck.  However, occasionally I do see flatbed
cars of either John Deere or Case-IH tractors heading east.  I have no idea
where they are going.  I don't know if they are for export or going to the
east coast.

Ford used to have a large plant by us, they built the Thunderbird and
Econoline vans.  They had loading faculties right at the plant for two
different train lines.  They used to load a lot of cars and vans onto
trains. So, there must be some economic advantage to using the rail system.

Again, just my thoughts

Lou