[AT] Quiet list(now dialup)

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 05:50:42 PST 2008

      We are lucky in our neck of the woods.  I get "high speed" DSL for 29.95 / mo..  Naturally about 7 various taxes are added to that.  It is currently in at 4600 plus kbps and out at 374 and is very reliable.  At times I have checked it as high as 5900 kbps download, but the upload never seems to change. I am not sure how that compares to the locally available Road Runner on cable. I do not have cable into the house. The Road Runner here is prices the same as my DSL. Occasionally I will discover it has slowed to very low numbers (easy to know when it takes a minute to download a simple file).  When that happens, I simply disconnect from the phone line for a minute and reconnect it.  Then all is well.  My guess is that creates a reconnect to another circuit on the phone company end.
I could currently sign up for a two year agreement @ $29.95 for the first year and $24.95 for the second year but that would add a $4.95 / mo. modem rental charge so I see no advantage. I pay no rental charge for the phone company supplied modem now and have no term agreement.  The new plan looks like a lesson how to make it look cheaper when it really isn't.  Much like "the produce is free but there will be a modest shipping and handling charge of about $59.95" type of deal.

     The most serious problem I keep having with this high speed service is that I can read too many antique tractor adds in a short time, then I go and buy them.

Charlie V. in  WNY