[AT] battery question

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 21 18:38:06 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lew Best" <bee_keeper at earthlink.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] battery question

> Not just because it's on a tractor; it's just that the warranties on
> these big tractor batteries are typically very short compared to car
> battery warranties.  I use a battery from AutoZone for most stuff
> (actually have 2 I rotate between forklifts, my welder, electric winch
> on trailer, etc.) but they are about half the physical size of this big
> battery in the tractor.  Both of them are just a few months old but no
> way one'll turn that tractor in 40 degree F weather & start it.  If they
> would I'd buy one of them; about 70 bux instead of the big one for 132
> bux!

Warranties are typically shorter on tractor and farm equipment batteries.
The reason given to me is that they are often subject to more vibration
which is supposedly harmful to the health of any battery. In my own
experience the tractor batteries last just as long as car and truck
batteries. 7 years is not unheard of and I've had some go longer than that.
I find that if a battery is going to fail it is usually in the first year or
so. Once its past that point they seem to be good for years.

Ralph in Sask.