[AT] Quiet list(now dialup)

Robert McBride bob100837 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 11:16:24 PST 2008

Farmer, Ralph , I went with explornet wireless broadband last Oct. and it works great.
Snow and heavy rain doesn't seem to bother it. I believe the initial cost for equipment was
around $175 and $43 a month. Youtube videos work just fine. I downloaded AVG anti
virus program and it took about 10 minutes to download versus who knows how long it
might take with dialup.
I should mention that we live on the extreme south side of Ottawa Ontario.

Bob McBride, retired on the Rideau

The new discussion board works fine on my dial up at 38.6k most of the time.
The only time it is a bit slow is if someone posts a huge picture or several
of them at once. Then it  takes a bit but stiill not bad. All the pictures I
post are done through dial up which is why I keep them a reasonable size.
About the biggest limitatiions I have are for video. Youtube video links are
usually wasted on my as it does take what seems like forever to transfer
video. I did spend an hour and a half uploading a few seconds of video a
while back. Waay too slow to do much more of that.
High speed is available here as I am in sight of the new sasktel tower but
the initial cost of the equipment plus $55 a month is a bit much for me to
justify right now.

Ralph in Sask.