[AT] Shop bathroom question

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Feb 16 11:57:42 PST 2008

--On Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:07 PM -0600 "Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois
USA" <gwaugh at wowway.com> wrote:

> Any sort of reasonable perc capacity of your soil, and this should work
> with no problem at all.
>
> Wouldn't please the rule makers, but 100% effective, and what with very
> low use, no problems at all.
>
> /Gene
> Gene Waugh
> Elgin, Illinois USA/

   :-)

	Those would be my exact thoughts Gene. Just don't sit it in a spring...
:-)

	I am thinking of installing a sawdust composting potty in a couple of
buildings. I have a number of members of some of my email lists that swear
by them. In its most basic form it is a 5 gal. pickle bucket with a seat
(seat configuration varies a lot) and a barrel of sawdust (red cedar would
be nice). Out back somewhere they have a few plastic barrels (I think with
holes in the bottom for drainage and air intake in the lower sides IIRC).
After each use sawdust is used to cover the fresh contents of the bucket.
When the bucket starts to get full it is replaced with a fresh cleaned
bucket with a little sawdust in the bottom and the full bucket is dumped in
the first barrel. The bucket is rinsed and hung upside down to "freshen"
itself. A little bleach water can help it. That rotation keeps going like
that. As the barrel fills up you just move to the next barrel and let the
first sit and compost. With about 10 or 12 barrels it is said to be able to
keep up with a normal house load. By the time the barrel has sat a year it
is said to be all just compost ready for the garden or field.
	There is one lady on one of my list that has one in her house that has a
nice varnished wood base made about like a trunk or cedar chest. The whole
bench area lifts up to expose the toilet seat and when full you just raise
the seat area to change buckets. It looks more like a piece of furniture
than a potty and it has a 3" or 4" vent pipe that runs up and outside of
the house to keep things smelling fresh. The vent could have a small blower
for positive venting while in use if you like which might avoid the danger
of an explosion especially if your taste runs heavy into Mexican food...
:-)

	In a discussion on another list one fellow spoke of using a large potted
plant in his wood shop as a urinal... I don't mind stepping out back but I
would find that use of a potted plant to be pretty iffy...

	Since my wood shop (originally a store) is a part of my old house and is
connected I have access to a full bathroom there. If I do decide to rent
the 24'x45' original house I will just put in a commode and sink and plumb
it to that septic system by connecting it to the regular house plumbing in
the house crawl space.

	Most of the time I don't really need a shop bathroom at all but when those
rare high speed "frightening" urges do hit 300' seems like a hundred
miles...   ;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson