[AT] TEST? NOW Ramble! (long)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 11 15:53:34 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Hass" <gkhass at avci.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] TEST? NOW Ramble! (long)

> Spent most of the day inside with the temperature hovering at or a little
> below zero, with 30 mph winds causing -25 F wind chills.   > Another
> subject:  I enjoy seeing stories of farm equipment and farm life,
> and pictures being put on the list such as Ralph does.> On the farm level,
> I have been trying to prepare for the coming planting
> season, although I am having an extremely hard time coming to terms with
> the
> fact that most of these seed companies want you to know before one year's
> crop is harvested to know what you are going to do the coming year!
> Prices of all fertilizers are going up again on
> Monday.  It seems to me that these supply companies are playing the same
> game as the oil companies with their claims of shortages just to drive the
> price sky high.

Hi Greg
We have much the same concerns (and weather) it seems. Canola seed companies
like us to order our seed in November-December and will give a good discount
if we do. I usually try to order at least some, if not all of the seed I
will need. Fertilizer is a big concern too. Huge increases in price in spite
of natural gas prices being lower. If this article is accurate we are in a
world wide shortage of fertilizer and could actually run out for the coming
crop year.
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/countryside-farming-news/farming-news/2008/02/05/fertiliser-famine-threats-to-hit-harvests-91466-20434884/

I've prepaid and took delivery of my granular fert. but done nothing on
anhydrous (N) yet. 55 cents a pound last I heard but still climbing. Could
be looking at $50 an acre just for N this spring. When I started farming in
the early seventies I bought land for that price. Some change alright.
Theres one local guy that has a grain burning furnace for his business shop
and it seems to be working. Burning low grade wheat last I heard.  Sure has
a strong smell though. When the wind is blowing toward the highway I can
smell the familiar stench of burning grain, not a  particularly pleasant
smell.
Sundogs and exteme wind chill warnings have been the trend here since Friday
when we dropped about 50 degrees in 24 hours.....

Ralph in Sask.