[AT] TEST?

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Feb 9 20:35:19 PST 2008

--On Saturday, February 09, 2008 5:33 PM -0500 Greg Hass <gkhass at avci.net>
wrote:

	I have been busy selling the last of my hay (except for a batch of about
50 bales I'm keeping back for a couple of saddle horses I may be given
soon). I had been storing hay in 3 unused grain bins and two barns. I had
sold most of it already including some last week to a regular horse hay
customer but I had small stacks of bales here and there. When I want to
sell some hay (as in running low on cash)   :-)    but no one has asked
about buying I take it to a livestock sale barn at Knightstown IN. They
auction hay out on their lot every Saturday. In nice weather they also sell
a little general stuff out there as well. There are people there from all
around the area and some from out of state. There is a Chicago sheep buyer
there every week and several commercial hay buyers ready to buy anything
that goes cheap. I only had about 78 bales I wanted to clear out so I
loaded up the gypsy wagon (some of you saw the gypsy wagon at Portland)
with 60 bales and put the rest on the 1/2 ton pickup. The 60 bales in the
gypsy wagon were some 3 year old orchard grass and timothy I still had in a
bin. Still decent but nothing special. The rest was some orchard grass and
timothy I baled very late in 2007 after it finally rained (tractor wise it
was baled with my SMTA)   :-)   There were maybe 30 (wild guess) lots of
hay there today and it ranged from about $1.75 a bale for some double crop
soybean hay that seemed to have an awful lot of soil in it up to one batch
of extremely nice looking alfalfa that sold for $7.25 a bale. My 3 year old
hay sold for $3.75 a bale and the new stuff sold for $5.75 a bale. I was
satisfied.

	Like all farmers I am hoping for a decent year this year...  :-)
	2006 it rained almost every 3 days all summer and few of us were able to
bale much hay. In 2007 our area was some of the worst drought area around
and everything was "extra crispy". 20 miles north of us it was dry but
nothing like it was here.
	I have scheduled a much better weather year this year...   ;-)
	I have several customers that want to buy out of the field this summer
which will help my storage space problem a lot. I am also planning on
baling a lot more hay in 4'x5' round bales which I can store outside up on
old used tires to avoid ground contact. I may also stack and tarp some of
them.

	I am also running around a bit trying to finish up settling my mother's
estate. I should be done with it yet this month.
	Last night I went to a funeral home to say goodbye to an old friend from
down the road... He was buried with a beer and a pack of cigarettes.
Appropriate I guess since I never saw him without both but he had fought
lung cancer for a year... He was a small time contractor/builder and since
I was doing some excavating we worked a few jobs together. His twin brother
and I once took down 3 barns on a property being prepared for houses and I
hauled many tons of scrap metal from the site. I sure wish it had been
worth what scrap is worth now.   :-)  They were both really great guys to
work with. I pass my friends house almost every day. I will miss him... I
seem to be missing a lot of old friends in recent years.   :-(

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA