[AJD] Fwd: Re: The controversy

J.R. Hobbs jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 13:48:09 PST 2008

"J.R. Hobbs" <jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:40:36 -0800 (PST)
From: "J.R. Hobbs" <jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [AJD] The controversy
To:

  Chris,

  Yes, I agree, the name is part of it, but that's about the only thing we inherited from Leroy Klein all those years ago. There are a few people who just take it too seriously, in my view. Sometimes I think we ought to erect a statue of Louis Wittry (the father of the "modern" two cylinder engine with the 180-degree firing order), make up some prayer rugs, and then we could all kneel and pray twice a day in the direction of Waterloo.

  NG isn't going to take over anything, it's just going to become part of things, just like everything else has done. As I've said before, there were people at the first Expo in 1987 who were fighing mad that those blankety-blank "styled" tractors had been allowed, and the steam would come out of their ears if anyone mentioned those funny-looking tractors with two-tone paint jobs.

  This, too, shall pass. Oh, there will be a few diehards with tunnel vision who think that the hobby is going to the dogs, but it isn't. High energy and parts prices will do more to hurt the hobby than a bunch of tractors built after 1960 is going to do. I'm far more worried about the effect of high energy prices than I am almost anything else. People are going to drive, and heat/cool their homes first, and if there's any left over for magazine subscriptions, fine, if not, fine. We can tell without looking every time gas goes over 3 bucks.

  Appreciate your support, Chris.

  JR

Chris C <jdnutinwa at yahoo.com> wrote:
  JR,

First off, the name and the club, Two Cylinder,
would right off the bat rule out anything that is not
two cylinders in the most pure of the correct policed
mind sets.

I do remember an uproar when Green Magazine branched
out, but now I think everyone has acclemated.

I think that once the initial shock to the 2-banger
purists is over the frequency of flaming arrows will
decrease... I know I am not going to stop
subscribing. All I can say is that in the time I have
been around Two Cylinder tractors (about 20 years now)
they have gone from easy to find parts and other
stuff, to getting more scare, higher priced, and
harder to find parts for.. So of course 'we'
collectors wouldn't want them to just be pushed off
stage by the newer more abundant, and seemingly really
popular NG tractors that are starting to take the
stage from the older guys..

Fear and the unknown make for lots of emotional
and all us paranoid types will eventually see that
we're not getting kicked aside..

Chris