[AJD] The controversy

J.R. Hobbs jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 10:37:35 PST 2008

I have to ask this question:  Why pick on Two-Cylinder?  I've not seen an issue of GM for some time, but I've been told that they have been running articles about NG tractors, and when I was there, we pretty much did everything on NG except the 3020 and 4020, which I refused to do because of a lack of information. So, why isn't there a hue and cry whenever GM does an article on a NG tractor, as I was given to understand they did in January?  I certainly didn't hear or see any complaints about that on the lists and message boards.

  J.R. Hobbs

Michael Scholl <buck69_hunter at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Here's my 2-cents...

The Number-Series and Styled-Letter-Series two-cylinder tractors are
classics and the Unstyled tractors are antique. Since a large number of
even the earliest of the new generation tractors are still in active use,
they hardly qualify to be considered classic. My son-in-law has 5 tractors
on the farm, two 4020's. The only tractor of his that I would consider a
classic is his '52 Farmall H (which is also used on a daily basis)

I have 3 green tractors, a '35 B (antique) and a '39 B (classic), the other
is only 4 years old. One could argue that anything built in the 30's should
be considered antique, but I feel that all Styled tractors should be grouped
together. My '39 is on cut-off spokes and looks nearly as antique as my
'35.

In Minnesota (where I live), to have a Collector-Classic license plate on a
car, the car cannot be newer than a 1948 model. I guess that I'm more of a
purist, but following this rule I guess that all of the Letter-Series would
be classics.

Two-Cylinder Magazine should be about two-cylinder tractors, if NG's are
included, the name should be changed to "Two-Cylinder and All Other Green
Tractors Magazine"

Cheers,
Mike ;)