[AJD] Two-Cyl belt and PTO drive

Richard E. Garrett rgarrett at evansville.net
Wed Feb 6 17:49:55 PST 2008

When I was very young in the late forties/early fifties. My dad ran
his old hammer mill with his  2cyl "A". You know why? Because it was
easier than trying to belt it up to the horses, and it was the only
tractor he could afford. I can't remember the belt jumping off or
tearing up any bearings.

He did custom bailing with an old New Holland with a Wisconsin engine
on it. My most vivid memories about that was the difficultly in
starting the engine when it was hot. As soon as the 14T Deere Baler
came out he owned one. In about three years we wore a hole the bale
case. He did a tremendous amount of custom bailing. He bought another
one, and later traded it for a 24T. We pulled all of the Deere balers
with a 1950 model "A". There were never any problems other than normal
wear with bearings.
He also used the two cyls on the combines, and corn pickers with
normal problems.
If two cyl engines are harder on equipment that multiple cyl engines
we didn't know it. I guess ignorance is bliss.
The reason he chose a Deere tractor in the first place is because IHC
would not trade for horses.
Richard

PS
Another memory of the New Holland baler. Dad ran his hand through the
multiple drive belts on the drive pulley. Didn't loose any fingers,
only missed work while the doctor was wrapping up his hand, but was
sore for several weeks.