[AJD] Two Cylinder JD's and Power Driven Equipment

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Tue Feb 5 17:04:23 PST 2008

Thought I would ask you folks what your opinion and knowledge is about this.  Have
ran across several individuals who claim that if you use any type of PTO driven or
belt driven equipment on a two cylinder JD, that the bearings of the equipment will
be ruined.  Their reasoning is that the uneven firing of the two cylinder engine
pounds on the bearings, universal joints, etc.  I might be able to see this if you
were lugging the tractor for an extended time.  But if this is true, wouldnt every
bearing in the tractor be subject to this pounding, therefore need frequent
replacing?  Bearings wear out, but I really haven't seen any more frequency in JD's
bearings needing replaced over any other brand.  Has anyone done or heard of a
study of this "rural myth?"  Would be interesting to see measured results of the
differences in stress on equipment between the pulsing  two cylinder engines over
the smoother running four and six cylinder ones.  What has been your experience?
What do you think?