[AT] Off topic somewhat- GPS down on the farm

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Feb 4 15:12:52 PST 2008

Most of the handheld units will do what you want. You set up some
waypoints as you go. Then if you get lost you just set it to reverse
your course. OR you can set it to guide you back to the starting
waypoint from your current location. I have a low end Magellan that will
do it. The higher end unit I use(Garmin Rino 530HCx) has a lot of extra
features (Electronic compass, altimeter, weather radio) You can get to a
point, key in a couple buttons and it will send your location back to
another person with a Rino. Plus it has a FRS/GMRS radio built in. I use
it during S&R training and on calls so we can chart covered areas.

Both of them can have coordinates entered and it will beep when you get
there. I think most of them will do that.

Most of the vehicle units are good with street directions but they don't
work well off road.

--
Steve W.
Firefighter,EMT,Fire Police