[AT] Off topic somewhat- GPS down on the farm

Warren mogrits at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:42:53 PST 2008

> I am looking for a handheld GPS that will do two basic thimgs
> 1:Track a route and allow retracing to point of origin I,e,, if I get
> lost in the woods
> 2: Using numeric data to trace a route and pinpoint a location--i.e.
> such as a boundary to a farm on which I would need a tractor (necessary)
> Any ideas? I use a GPS in the truck but it will not work in retracing a
> route or finding an exact location if not on a map
>
> Wayne Snelling

If you can find an old Garmin III, IV or V Plus reconditioned you can come
out for around a hundred bucks or so. It uses various coord sets including
loran numbers. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=121

My experience with them handheld is hit or miss- certainly would be hard to
find a property pin because your motion is so limited vs an automobile.
Sometimes you can be standing still and the unit shows you moving 15 ft or
so back and forth.

Warren