[AJD] NewGen vs TC

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Feb 3 20:22:53 PST 2008

Kreig wrote:

> NG tractors might be collectable in some
> ways, but how are real prices?

Kreig, I think they bring a lot of money for a tractor of their age and horsepower, both because they're collectible and because they're still good useful tractors--so there's a big market, both markets combined.

To my mind, the top of the class is the late 4020 diesel, 1969-72 if I have the dates correct, with the side-console hydraulic controls and Powershift transmission.  Hard to touch one of those in good shape for less than $10K.

2520s are much in demand too, and a nice late diesel with all the trimmings might get close to that $10K figure also.

The earlier models without the side hydraulics, with the Syncro transmission, or especially with the gas engine, bring a lot less.  Still a lot of tractor there, though, and if you needed a workhorse chore tractor I bet you could pick up a good, solid gas-engined narrow-front 4010 or 4020 for maybe $4K.

I learned some very expensive lessons in old-tractor economics with a gas narrow-front early 3020 several years ago, but it was worth it for the fun and the education.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net