[AT] Trailers

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 1 11:22:38 PST 2008

	You know 95% of what is "required" really falls right back to what Paul
was saying... Much more of getting ticketed is about your driving and with
a trailer how your load looks. These guys have an unlimited choice of
vehicles to pull over. Just don't make yourself a target.
	Indiana is a main north and south drug traffic route from Florida to
Chicago and branch points. The state and local police both make numerous
drug arrest and confiscations along Indiana's southeast to Northwest
interstate routes. Unless they have a tip (rare) those arrest come about
from a stop for something else. Dope runners tend to be dopes.   :-)   They
might do all sorts of cunning little things like cutting parts of the car
open to hide the stuff but they just don't have smarts enough to control
the urge to drive fast or get drunk or high while running drugs. Most stops
are for speeding. Hands down. Next is weaving or erratic driving. Many
runners just can't seem to bring themselves to come to a complete stop at a
stop sign... Just stupid stuff. Then there is the other extreme. They
caught one runner here because he was only driving about 40 MPH on the
interstate. Not a good way to be inconspicuous.   :-)
	Getting stopped while hauling can be triggered in a similar manner. If an
officer (DOT or not) passes you and your load looks well balanced and well
anchored and your truck and trailer look to be in generally decent shape he
will probably just keep going. Now if you can't control that urge to be
running 7.5 MPH over the limit he may look at you in a whole different
light. You might be getting ready to pass that vehicle in front of you but
that officer passing you might think that you have been on that guy's tail
all along. If you "almost" come to a full stop at an off ramp that warrants
a second look. If you look even remotely like Evil Dave that alone is
grounds for getting stopped...   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   That guy you flipped the
bird at 20 miles back because he cut you off may have been the one at fault
but if he grabs his cell phone and calls in a lie about you they will
probably find you easy because you are easy to describe and easy to spot.
You may then qualify for a thorough looking over for any excuse to pull you
over to check you out.
	One day last year I saw an 8N Ford on a light trailer that was only held
down by 4 of those cheap light-weight itty-bitty 1" ratchet straps going
down the interstate. If I were an officer I sure would have stopped him.
	I know a number of current and former police officers including a couple
of family members. I don't know any that have a crystal clear knowledge of
hauling rules. Most don't even want to know... It is mostly a matter of
perception and in most cases you can control the perception...

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA