[AT] Autos-Was:refusing to replace old equipment

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 08:18:03 PST 2008

>  GM and Ford both recommend removing the box to access the pump on the
> P/U trucks. I...
> At least that's better than the new Ford Super Duties,  For most of
> the
work under the hood the first item on the repair list is to remove the
entire front clip and cab!!!

I just had a new exhaust gas recycler cooler put in my '04 Ford F250
Super Duty Diesel (6.0 engine).  Indeed, the dealer service manager
told me that they remove the cab to do the job.  The independent truck
folks whom I got to do the job raised the cab a few inches and got it
replaced.  They have found that's enough.

NOW, the engine has a whistle they thought was due to a broken plastic
finger clip on the crank case vapor recycling hose, but a new part did
not fix the whistle. They can't find the whistle yet, but will try
some more when I take the truck back to them.  They have called Ford
to get advice.

The good news is that they discovered the cord for the block heater I
didn't know I had. That saves some $250 cost to install one.

> ...  On things like threaded studs I slather them with a thin
> coat of grease prior to coating. That way the paint won't bond in the
> threads.

Tractor content:

I'm getting my Cub Cadet Super garden tractor snow blower ready for
work.  The prior owner could not give me the lift arm from the tractor
the blower came from because it's rusted on, and he stripped the cap
screws trying to get it off.  $100 later I have a new lift arm an two
cap screws* that hold it on.  Rest assured that they will get a coat
of grease during assembly, as have most other bolts on the blower.  I
estimate that less than one cent worth of grease would have saved me
the hundred dollars.

The cap screws cost $2.70 each at the Cub Cadet dealer and $1.70 for
two at Tractor Supply.  I now have spares and they and the bit of
grease will guarantee that I never need them.

Grumble, grumble

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net