[AT] The IHC W-4 front oil seal

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed Dec 31 23:51:38 PST 2008

Roy,

The first thing you'll need is good access to the lower front of the engine;
e.g., remove the Grill, the radiator, etc.
The next is to remove the Fan Drive Pulley on the front of the Crankshaft
(Remove the big Nut holding the pulley on the Crank and remove the Fan Belt;
Note: A Gear Puller may be needed to get the pulley off).
The next is to remove the gazillion cap screws holding the Crankcase Front
Cover on and Remove the Cover.
The Front Crankshaft Oil Seal (IH P/N: 53 888D) is in the Cover and the
Cover Gasket is IH P/N: 352 169 R2 (which you will need).  I think your'
Case IH Dealer will have, or can quickly get, the seal and gasket.  I've
done this job on the Farmall H engine, which I think is the same as the W4
engine, so I think the above recipe will work (hopefully I didn't leave
anything out).

As to whether or not this is a tough job I will let you be the judge.

Good Luck
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington