[AT] anti-freeze

Mike msm10301 at juno.com
Tue Dec 23 17:43:03 PST 2008

That's very interesting that the ice would remain through the summer, I would have never imagined it would last that long. How was the ice storage building constructed? Was it partially underground? Mike M

-- Larry Goss <rlgoss at insightbb.com> wrote:
That's one of the things about an irrigation ditch that I never understood.  The reservoir lakes themselves would be frozen deep enough to be cutting ice from six inches thick, but the supply ditch would still be running clear.  I have no explanation for it other than the water just ran too fast to freeze.

My grandfather and the hired man worked for weeks to fill the ice house with blocks of ice cut with the ice saw from the lake and carried on a horse-drawn sled that was built like a two-horse farm wagon but with four runners instead of wheels.  The ice was packed with sawdust for insulation and it would last until August every summer.  The farm "modernized" around WWII and they stopped filling the ice house after that time, but I remember visitiing on the farm in July and having homemade ice cream using the end of the ice that had been stored for months.

Larry