[AT] cold weather vehicles

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Dec 23 22:29:28 PST 2008

Indiana Robinson wrote:
 > You guys remember the exhaust manifold heater on the Model A Ford? It
> had a funnel shaped intake that sat behind the fan and directed the
> air over fins cast onto the top of the exhaust manifold and then
> carried it into the car on the passenger side. It was simple but it
> worked, sort of. It worked best in the summer...
> :-)
> The defroster was a rag laying on the seat beside you or in some cases
> having the lower edge of the windshield opened about an inch.

And VW used the same style heat on their vehicles. Exhaust manifolds had
large finned aluminum blocks cast on them. With a sheet metal shroud
around it. They connected to sheet metal tubes formed in the body. When
NEW and sealed they worked OK, When they started to rust the heat
started to go away...

Of course I turned around and made a similar unit to heat one of my
first lawn tractor cabs. The factory round muffler and an accordion
formed aluminum heat exchanger. Used some sheet metal around it and a
small computer fan to move the air.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York