[AT] anti-freeze

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 23 22:45:37 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lew Best" <bee_keeper at earthlink.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] anti-freeze

> Hey Ralph or Mike M
>
> Of course we don't have to go nearly that deep here in central TX but I'm
> curious what's the "normal thing" to do with this drain?  I recently
> bought
> one of these; the drain has pipe thread (1/8"IIRC?) so I put a hose on it
> &
> trenched out letting the end come out at "supply pipe level" as the land
> has
> a slope to it.  Other one I plan to install will be on level ground so
> can't
> do it this way.  No instructions came with the hydrants.

LEw, I don't recall attaching anything to the drain of the hydrant. The
water just drains out into the ground around the base when the hydrant is
shut off. When back filling I put a good bit of coarse gravel and rock
around the base as the soil here is pure yellow clay at that depth and not
too absorbent. The rocks and gravel give a bit more room for the water to
disperse. Unless you are constantly turning the hydrant on and off there
will not be lot of drainage water to deal with anyway.
Roy, the handle gets really stiff on the hydrant here too in this cold
weather. Some light oil on all the moving parts in the handle will help a
little.

Ralph in Sask.