[Farmall] International 460 Utility

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Dec 23 04:21:40 PST 2008

When you drain a tractor hydraulic system, you have to do a little more
than just open all the drains. You need to run the engine and work all
the valves to extend and retract the hitch cylinder, all loader
cylinders, and flush the pump and lines. And turn the front wheels lock
to lock as well to drain the power steering lines and cylinders. This
should be done in about a minute or so at low engine speed - you don't
want to run the pump dry for much longer than that. The system still
won't be 100% dry, but you should get at least another gallon (or more)
of contaminated fluid out. When you fill the system, there will be lots
of air in it, so you need to work all the valves several times and then
keep adding fluid until you are back up to full. The systems is
self-bleeding, but it might take a while for all the air to be expelled
from all the lines and cylinders.

Mike