[AT] Autos-Was:refusing to replace old equipment-OT

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Dec 20 17:04:18 PST 2008

Charlie:
I might agree with you on the reliability, but I can't on the ease of
working on them.  Ford keeps moving the engine further under the cowling
  so that you have to have a special topside creeper to change the spark
plugs.  They have individual coils that will go bad if the plugs are not
  just the very best $5 each ones you can find.  I have both Ford
Chevrolet and Chrysler from 95 to 2002, what I consider to be late
model.  Forget about working on that Dodge mini van. You have to pull
the engine down or raise the body up just to change the alternator...
Same thing with changing the back 3 spark plugs.  I got good mileage
with my 70's cars and trucks and they were just as reliable.  We are
paying for a lot of pollution controls and government controls that just
make big shots managers more money.

One of my goals aftrer retirement was to have a shop to rebuild the
older trucks and tractors.  Parts for the industrial engines are so hard
to find that It looks like that dream is shot too...  Not all of my toys
are tractors.  Sending all our manufacturing overseas has created a
nation full of unserviceable junk...

The younger folks I talk to just tell me that is the cost of doing
business...    Looks like that cost has put a lot of businesses out of
business...

Cecil in OKla