[AT] Autos-Was:refusing to replace old equipment

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Dec 20 14:54:09 PST 2008

Roy Morgan wrote:
> Tractor content:
>
> I'm getting my Cub Cadet Super garden tractor snow blower ready for
> work.  The prior owner could not give me the lift arm from the tractor
> the blower came from because it's rusted on, and he stripped the cap
> screws trying to get it off.  $100 later I have a new lift arm an two
> cap screws* that hold it on.  Rest assured that they will get a coat
> of grease during assembly, as have most other bolts on the blower.  I
> estimate that less than one cent worth of grease would have saved me
> the hundred dollars.
>
> The cap screws cost $2.70 each at the Cub Cadet dealer and $1.70 for
> two at Tractor Supply.  I now have spares and they and the bit of
> grease will guarantee that I never need them.
>
> Grumble, grumble
>
> Roy
>
> Roy Morgan
> k1lky at earthlink.net
> 529 Cobb St.
> Groton NY, 13073

Those cap screws can be a real PIA...
What I do with mine is clean the threads then coat them with never
seize. The heads have to go in and bottom out of the lift shaft and the
heads also act as part of the arm.

Lube the front pivots and the lift linkage as well.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York