[AT] refusing to replace old equipment

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:50:37 PST 2008

> Subject: [AT] refusing to replace old equipment?
> > Anybody else here that would rather fix up your older equipment than> > replacing it with new stuff?> > That would include me. I guess after a life time of having to farm with > patched up second hand equipment it has become almost a religion with me. Of > course now I have the excuse that with the few acres that I farm it does not > pay to spend the money on new equipment. Quarter million dollar combines on > 1000 acres can't be justified. I've spent many hours patching up some old > junker and if I was being paid by the hour it just wouldn't make sense. But > theres a satisfaction in seeing that old stuff working knowing its because > of my efforts.> > Ralph in Sask. tractor email discussion group"
A lot of the time I agree with Ralph but not always.  About 4 years ago I bought a new compact diesel (New Holland TC40D) with a loader because I wanted a tractor to work WITH instead of a tractor to work ON.  All I have to do is jump on the seat and turn the key.  It's nice to have something that is always ready to go.