[AT] New chainsaw

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:44:40 PST 2008

I wanted to cut some wood last week and my little Poulan didn't want
to fire up. Thinking back it was probably just a tiny bit of water in
the carb from condensation etc. that turned to ice out in the cold but
as many of us do I got a little pi$$ed and headed to town to look for
a new saw. The local farm store only carries Poulan and while Poulans
have always given me decent service I was still a little angry at
mine. I have an almost new 20" Poulan Pro which is great for felling
good sized trees and bucking the logs but it just gets too heavy for
limbing etc. especially when climbing in awkward spots or reaching out
to cut. I have used the little 14" Poulans for a long time for that. I
just wanted something different this time so I went to see our only
actual outdoor power equipment dealer in town. There are several
around but they are about a 60 mile round trip and the folks in town
are a 6 mile round trip. They also have a decent reputation and I have
bought parts there before and they seem to stock well and know what
you need. They had a display of some kind of "red" saw that I can not
recall the name of (I think it starts with an S not Stihl, I think it
has a Q in it). I looked at the price tags on them and about had a
Fred Sanford heart attack right there among the saws...
:-)
Then I spotted a display of Echo products. My hand was still shaking
when I turned over the price tag on the smallest one and it was almost
twice the price of the small Poulan I had looked at in the farm store
but after seeing the price on that red one it seemed almost free.
One of them followed me home and I must say that I do like it a lot.
It is extremely light and the whole head is a lot smaller and flatter
than the Poulan. The dealer insisted on putting fuel and oil in it and
firing it up before he would let it out the door. I had looked before
at several brands but this time I wanted a local parts stocking
dealer. I suppose now he will go belly up on me since I bought one...
 :-)
I'll keep the bigger Poulan Pro, the Echo and the newest little Poulan
and probably take all of the others I have to the Portland Spring Swap
Meet.

"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)