[AT] MF 1135 (MF 150 engine)

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 16 09:29:57 PST 2008

Charles,  I used to drive a tractor trailer truck that had a 8V 71 Detroit
diesel in it.  That engine threw a rod and knocked a hole in the side of the
block as big as a small grapefruit.  It was patched with screen wire and
epoxy similar to Devcon.  The truck ran at least 100,000 miles after that
before it was totaled in a wreck.  A lot of an engine block has no
structural purpose.  It just keeps the oil inside.  As long as your hole is
in one of those thin casting areas like that Cecil is exactly right.  You
can fix it up just fine.  With a little care you can make the epoxy patch
have the same texture as cast iron and with a little paint you can't tell
the difference.

Charlie