[AT] refusing to replace old equipment

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 14:32:14 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 5:16 PM, John Hall wrote:

> Anybody else here that would rather fix up your older equipment than
> replacing it with new stuff?

John,

Oh yes, indeed.  The tractor here is a '51 IHC W-4.  Had it out today
to plow the driveway.  I have a lead on a 60 inch tow-behind brush hog
and unless a cheaper one shows up, or unless it turns out to be junk,
I may buy it.  'Trouble is that the guy's initial talking price is 60
percent of the cost of a new one.

We just came back from the mall where there is a line of Kuboda mini
tractors, and one big enough to do any real farming with. That biggest
one might do very well here, but for how much?  Maybe some $10 to
15,000  - I can only guess.

> I guess I have been restoring and refurbishing
> old farm equipment for so long

I'e been doing the same thing with electronics: amateur radio
transmitters and communication receivers.  Some truly great performing
equipment comes from the Paific Rim nowadays, but the only one I have
of that sort is about 20 years old.  I have no plans to get newer ones
of that sort.

> ... We put out 5 tons of fertilizer a couple weeks back. ...the
> spreader we have is about 30
> years old....'could have bought a new one for $350.

Spreader of that sort needed here!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net