[AT] refusing to replace old equipment

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 14 14:16:03 PST 2008

 Anybody else here that would rather fix up your older equipment than
replacing it with new stuff? I guess I have been restoring and refurbishing
old farm equipment for so long that I never consider buying anything
new--other than parts. We put out 5 tons of fertilizer a couple weeks back.
When we got through we washed the spreader up and decided to check it over
before putting it away for the winter. The spreader we have is about 30
years old. Long story short it needed 1 U-joint and the bearings on the top
shaft in the gearbox. While it was apart we decided to sandblast and paint
it. I also have to fix a couple holes in the hopper. Parts/sand/paint should
run about $80. I could have bought a new one for $350.

John Hall