[AT] MF 1135

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 20:57:39 PST 2008

Somebody was mentioning a couple posts back about sabotage at the factory
with MF.  I wonder if that's what happened to a neighbor back in the 80's.
He bought a big Massey,  I forget the model but it was a big one.  Blew
pistions out the side of the block going down the road in high gear.

I guess I sound harsh on Massey and I don't mean to as there are a lot of
80 HP and below MF's around here that have been on the job a long time and
seldom miss a beat.  Plus, we have an excellent hometown MF dealer close
by.  However,  I have heard my dad say when he made the switch from IH to
JD (I don't know if I would call it that big of a "Switch" as it was his
second new tractor) that a friend who ran mostly MF told him that they were
ok, but the JD's would "hold their grease in" (meaning not leak as much) a
lot better and he'd be happier with the JD's in the long run.  He was
considering a 285 MF or a 2940 JD and the JD is what he went with and he
has not regretted it. If I was looking for a field tractor, MF would be at
the very bottom of the list, just below New Holland/Ford.

That said, I can recall back in 1991 standing on our high school football
field, as a graduation Marshall for my school, watching the biggest farmer
in our area who runs mostly JD's and caseIH, cultivating cotton with two MF
285's.  I had much rather been on one of those tractors than at that
graduation ceremony!

Al