[AT] 12-volt conversion (OT)

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Sat Dec 6 22:06:44 PST 2008

Dudley,

I too have difficulty making the change but we antique tractor owners in NW WA
state are a bit spoiled regarding the extreme cold temperatures that the guys
East of us have to deal with. But I still maintain a tractor properly tuned with
a good combustion chamber condition shouldn't have to make the change. The last
winter we spent in NW IA we had 26 days in a row where it didn't get above zero
and typical night time lows were -40. I had a 56 Ford Crown Victoria that stood
outside in that temperature every night and would start every morning but when
trying to start it, it felt like the crank was boring groves in the oil. Wiped
out the automatic transmission on that car due to getting stuck in a snow drift.
Panicked, because my wife was about to give birth to our second daughter and
traded it in on a new 62 Ford Fairlane. Got the new car home the day before.
This new car stood out all night and my wife told me at 6:00AM the next morning
that it was time to go to the hospital. Yep, that new sucker wouldn't start. I
was fit to be tied. I also now wish I had that 56 Ford Crown Victoria back. One
of my most favorite cars that I have ever owned.

BTW, for some odd and unknown reason, our home address the next winter was Le
Mesa, CA. :-)

Dean Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA

If we take the time to count our blessings we don't have time to complain.