[AT] Tranny Lube

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 04:03:42 PST 2008

At the risk of being accused of heresy, I suggest that almost anything
slippery would work. 1. You are not likely to be using the tractors for
more than a couple of hours at a time and not very often. 2. Any
lubricant you buy today is orders of magnitude superior to what what
available when the tractors were manufactured (or what poor farmers
poured into their transmissions back then). 3. The thicker the fluid,
the less it will leak out through tired old seals, but also the harder
it will be to run in very cold (below freezing) weather. 4. When you say
"is overdue for a change", the only reason that I would change the fluid
in an older machine would be if it was contaminated with water or other
fluids. Otherwise, the old stuff will work just fine. For older tractors
(that don't use the transmission fluid for the hydraulic system), I
recommend generic 90 weight "tractor transmission fluid" available from
most auto parts stores.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Mike