[AT] 12-volt conversion

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Fri Dec 5 19:15:58 PST 2008

Dick,

Assuming this is magneto based tractor this is a fairly easy conversion but I
must ask why?  Any JD B that is in reasonably good shape will start easily on a
6 volt system and 6v generators are a dime a dozen. But given there is another
reason driving this, the light bulbs will have to be changed to 12 volts, the
current amp meter should handle the current readings just fine. You do not need
to change the starter to 12V if one major caveat is followed. Do not run the
starter for long periods of time. It will overheat and eventually fail if this
rule isn't followed. I don't have an alternator to recommend because I have a
thing about alternators on tractors that are supposed to have generators. :-)

PS: Quite often the reason this 6V to 12V conversion is done is because a
previous PO has put on too small of cables to the battery ground and to the
starter. 6V systems require much heavier cables than 12V. Also check the battery
to ground and battery to starter connections. If the tractor ignition or
combustion chamber is in bad shape all the 12V system will do is spin the
starter faster but may not solve the real problem. The
magneto/sparkplugs/sparkplug wires/valves/rings may be the real problem.  A
compression check is also in order before spending the money on an alternator
and new 12V battery!

I'm a purist I guess!

Dean Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA

If we take the time to count our blessings we don't have time to complain.