[Ford-ferguson] New 8N "Boomer" from New Holland

jurors75973 at mypacks.net jurors75973 at mypacks.net
Fri Dec 5 05:56:49 PST 2008

I happen to still have the story open in my browser.

The text follows, and if anyone knows where I can post the pics, I'll do
that too!

Chan W.

from:
 http://www.grit.com/Fixin-Fence/New-Holland-Announces-Boomer-8N-Retro-Classic-Compact-Tractor.aspx?blogid=184

New Holland Announces Boomer 8N Retro-Classic Compact Tractor
12/3/2008 1:55:58 PM

by Hank Will, Editor at Grit.com
Tags: tractor, compact, New Holland, Boomer, Ford, machines

I am sitting at the gate in LaGuardia waiting for my flight home to
Kansas. I have just finished taking a look at and operating New
Holland's newest Boomer concept (in New York City's Central Park), the
Boomer 8N, which is due in dealer showrooms early next year ... look for
them in March. The Boomer 8N takes its styling cues from, and traces its
roots to, the venerable Ford 8N. This new 8N compact tractor boasts 50
horsepower at the engine, distinctive, timeless styling, an innovative
continuously variable transmission, and capabilities one would expect
from a 50-horsepower tractor. Look for more information at New Holland's
Boomer 8N website in January or February.

New Holland's Boomer 8N, in the spotlight. (Picture here)

My first impression of the tractor was all wow. The styling, while
modern, takes attractive cues from the 8N of old. Rather than just
adding a slightly modified hood sheet to an existing Boomer tractor, the
design team at New Holland, in collaboration with their colleagues at
Fiat, created a flat-topped hood with retro-style grill that screams
Ford 8N. The tractor's LED teardrop-shaped headlights have been sculpted
into channels carved into the grill and hood sides. The padded seat ...
fully adjustable and ergonomic ... is reminiscent of the original
pan-style seat. The Boomer 8N's gauge cluster is analog with just the
right touch of vintage. There is also an electronic information screen
that will eventually provide all kinds of speed and system information.
The tractor's color scheme included a red frame and belly with light
gray grill, hood and fenders. It looks just right, even with its
heavy-duty front drive axle, which is standard. The machine features New
Holland's robust hydraulic system, an electric PTO engagement switch and
plenty of chassis to mount loaders, backhoes and lots of three-point
attachments.

The New Holland 8N features a naturally aspirated, indirect-injected
four-cylinder diesel engine, 2,800-pound-capacity three-point hitch, and
electronically modulated CVT transmission that's controlled by a single
pedal. Push on the pedal and various sensors detect torque and load
characteristics, which in turn adjust the transmission's "gear" ratio
and engine rpm. Forward and reverse are controlled with a shuttle lever
that controls a pair of clutch packs and allow seamless, clutchless
shifting from forward to reverse and back again.

New Holland's Boomer 8N at rest. (Picture here)

I found the New Holland Boomer 8N to be easy to drive, functionally well
thought out, and incredibly well styled. The machine is a breeze to
start, and operating it is as easy as selecting a range (limits the
drive pedal's speed range electronically) with a switch, and pressing
the go pedal. If there ever was a tractor as easy to drive as a car,
this is it. Onboard diagnostics make troubleshooting a breeze, although
trouble is not anticipated in this well-designed package.

"We're excited to introduce landowners to the New Holland Boomer 8N, a
modern compact tractor that acknowledges its heritage," says Doran
Herritt, compact marketing manager at New Holland. "Since 1917, New
Holland has provided its customers with machines that are dependable,
versatile and easy to operate. With superior quality and distinctive
style, the redesigned 8N is the perfect addition to the Boomer line."

The company has not yet set the Boomer 8N's MSRP, but its goal is to
make it competitive. New Holland Senior Director of Brand Marketing
David Greenberg made it clear that the company plans to build as many of
these tractors as the market wants. It is surely not a limited-edition
collector machine. It is true to its roots as a workhorse, a real
modern-day classic.